The USHCN data and user interface have been updated.
Your browser will be redirected in a few seconds. Thank you.
U.S. HISTORICAL CLIMATOLOGY NETWORK (USHCN) - NDP-070
Daily Temperature, Precipitation, and Snow Data
C.N. Williams, Jr., M.J. Menne, R.S. Vose, and D.R. Easterling
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration,
National Climatic Data Center,
Asheville, North Carolina
Prepared for on-line distribution by:
B.L. Jackson, L.M. Olsen, D.P. Kaiser, Erika Soderstrom, and T.A. Boden
Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis
Oak Ridge National
Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6290
University of Tennessee-Battelle, LLC
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF
under contract DE-AC05-00OR22725
Williams, C.N., Jr., M.J. Menne, R.S. Vose, and D.R. Easterling. 2006. United States
Historical Climatology Network Daily Temperature, Precipitation, and Snow Data.
ORNL/CDIAC-118, NDP-070. Available on-line
[http://cdiac.ornl.gov/epubs/ndp/ushcn/usa.html] from the
Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory,
U.S. Department of
Energy, Oak Ridge, Tennessee. doi: 10.3334/CDIAC/cli.ndp070
1. Background Information
2. Description of the Data
3. Data Inhomogeneities and Nonclimatic Influences in the Data
4. Quality assurance of the HCN/D database
5. File Descriptions
6. How to Obtain the Database and Documentation
Appendix B: State Numbers and abbreviations Used for the 48 States in the HCN/D Database
Access Station Data
Users are urged to read a brief overview
regarding missing daily data values and questionable data values which may or
may not have been flagged via the quality assurance procedures applied to USHCN daily data.
There are now two ways to get station data:
1. Download netCDF (network Common Data Form) files containing data for the entire USHCN network (by variable
type), or download and view state files in ASCII format from CDIAC's ftp area.
You may also download an ASCII text version of the documentation file (ndp070.txt)
and the station inventory file (invent.txt)
2. In addition to browsing and downloading data for an entire state, you may also query, plot, and download data for individual states or stations using our web interface. CDIAC developed this interface using SAS Internet TM. (Note: Please review all documentation before using these data.)
Click on a state to retrieve daily station data.